[pypy-dev] Pascal backend

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Fri Dec 2 18:28:49 CET 2005

Hi Seo!

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 03:40:58AM +0900, Sanghyeon Seo wrote:
> I started Pascal backend for a while now. Have a look at:
> http://sparcs.kaist.ac.kr/~tinuviel/pypy/
>
> Resulting Pascal source can be compiled with FPC(Free Pascal Compiler),
> available from http://www.freepascal.org/
>
> What do you think? Also, if I understood correctly, translation part
> is undergoing much change in the branch. What do I need to change?

There is not too much to change.  Mostly, back-ends must now work
directly with graphs instead of manipulating Python function objects.

I take it that you know that the current approach for back-ends is to
use the output of the RTyper, not just the annotations?  It's
particularly useful for a back-end like Pascal.  You would get flow
graphs that contain "low-level" operations.  For integer manipulation it
is not such a big difference, but for any more complicated kind of
objects it is essential because it allows you to care only about the
"lltypes", i.e. structures (Pascal records), arrays and pointers.

A bientot,

Armin