[pypy-dev] Re: Using PyPy as a compiler

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Feb 8 11:07:57 CET 2005

Hart's Antler <bhartsho at yahoo.com> writes:

> Hi Seo,
>
> Thanks, your updates fixed the problem!  I was able to compile most
> of an XML DOM and XPath implementation to C,

That's cool!

> it generated alot of C code though, almost 35,000 lines,

That's not surprising.

> i'll do some bench marks later comparing it to normal python and
> psyco.

Don't expect wonders at this point, but please do try -- it'd be
interesting to see what does happen.

> But I wasn't able to use the annotator to simplify the types, is
> that still pretty experimental?

Yes, certainly.  Did the way it blew up make even vague sense? :)

> If anybody wants to try the compiled XML DOM, shoot me an email and
> i'll send you the source.

It might be more interesting to see how far we are from being able to
annotate your code, but the answer might be "a pretty long way"...

Cheers,
mwh

--
  I believe C++ instills fear in programmers, fear that the
  interaction of some details causes unpredictable results.