[pypy-dev] Running Python in reverse

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Tue Jan 11 19:04:26 CET 2005

Hi Aleanxder,

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 16:51 +0100, Alexander Schliep wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 hpk at trillke.net (holger krekel) wrote:
> > Well, the question is if we could tackle the "History Space" (working
> > title) at some sprint and you would attend and we would together incorporate
>
> It will be really difficult for me to attend sprints, I already travel way
> too much. I'd be glad though to start to code towards extending Gato.
>
> Does it make it a lot of sense to run the whole tkinter app in pypy,

not yet and not for quite some time, i guess.

> or would we just have an embedded pypy-interpreter for the algorithm?

This is possible although it will not be very fast (unless PyPy can
already translate your functions to C, possibly even with type
inference in which case it might run at C-speed).

> Do you have suggestions how to setup the whole thing?

Running a module or some function through PyPy (on top of
a CPython version) is rather easy.  The work starts at the
need to implement the history funcionality.  This is likely
doable during (part of) a sprint, especially since we already
have the TraceObjectSpace which does something similar.

However, it would be interesting if we discuss a higher level
API that you would like to have in order to integrate it into Gato.

cheers,

    holger