[pypy-dev] module writing

Douglas McNeil mcneil at astro.queensu.ca
Tue Jan 25 20:47:51 CET 2005

> I don't know exactly. Isn't there a pure python implementation for  quoted
> printable in the python sources (I think in quopri.py or something). I would
> just use this code.

I would except that testing revealed the two have surprisingly different
behaviour for all sorts of inputs, and I thought the goal (at the moment,
at least) is to have the pypy stdlib give exactly the same results (at
least on non-architecture-dependent stuff.)

> Another thing: I don't have much time at the moment to finish my
> binascii code. Perhaps it's best if I pass my code to you, so you can
> have a look at it and perhaps merge it with yours and check it in? What
> do you think?

Sure, that's fine.  Thesis work is always less interesting than anything
else. :)

BTW, all, a few weeks ago I gave a talk at a conference on
high-performance computation in astrophysics, and got to plug the pypy
project as an example of future coolness.  In discussions afterwards it
was widely agreed that if a dynamic high-level language could get within
25% of C without much boilerplate the productivity gains would be well
worth the runtime cost, even at the extreme end of HPC.

Queen's University Astronomy Research Group
Planetary Dynamics Division			"We create worlds."