[pypy-dev] llvm2 update

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Sat Jul 16 00:45:00 CEST 2005

Hi Chris!

Chris Lattner wrote:
[snip]
> This is generally done with global variables.  The C++ front-end
> basically generates code like this:
>
>   C++:  throw 42;
>
> Pseudo LLVM code:
>    int *E = allocate_exception_memory(4);
>    *E = 42;
>    add_to_current_exception_stack(E);
>    unwind
>
> I imagine that something similar should work for pypy.

This is indeed pretty much what I did in genllvm1 (note that we're
already writing our second LLVM backend :-). It's even a bit easier
since we don't need an exception stack but only one single exception.
One problem is that exception matching is not entirely straightforward
although this is a property of the PyPy model and has nothing to do with
LLVM per se.

Regards,

Carl Friedrich