[pypy-dev] Hildesheim sprint progress report

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Tue Jul 26 00:39:10 CEST 2005

Just some quick (and probably confused) notes about went on at the
Hildesheim sprint day 1. Corrections welcome.
As in Gothenburg we tried to write an evolving file that listed all the
tasks:

http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/extradoc/sprintinfo/hildesheim2-planning.txt

somehow we didn't get very far and decided that we just would all work
on rtyper issues. The following people are here: Hogler, Armin, Samuele,
Christian, Richard, Carl Friedrich.

Holger and Christian paired and started removing some amount of faking
in PyPy. They did this by removing the usage of file as well as
stdout/stdin in the PyPy interpreter and resorting to the os primitives
instead, which can be more easily translated to C.

Armin and Christian worked on various rtyper issues. They worked on
unicode, fixed hashing for numerical types, and worked on marshal.

Samuele and me worked on external functions. We cleaned up some of the
hooks that were there before the current external function mechanism and
implemented some math and os function for the C backend so that you can
now actually use some of the primitive file operations like fdopen,
stat, write... without using the CPython API.

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich