[pypy-dev] Confused about RPython

Niklaus Haldimann nhaldimann at gmx.ch
Fri Jul 29 01:11:51 CEST 2005

Hi everyone

I am currently seriously confused about the notion of RPython, and I
hope someone can show me the light here. ;)

I guess my basic problem is: How do I find out if some code is RPython?
And especially in the context of the array module im currently working
on, how do I find out if a module is RPython?

One of my working hypothesis was that whatever can be geninterped is
RPython. But by that definition, a *lot* more comes out as RPython than
the documentation says. Is it just that the documentation is out-of-date
or is geninterping not a good criterion? E.g., when Christian states
that _codecs is now RPython, does that just mean it can be geninterped
or is there something else to it?

Armin just had a checkin where he replaced str.isalpha() with something
else because string methods are not RPython. But I can geninterp and
even C compile string methods just fine. Did he use the term "RPython"
loosely, meaning something like "what can be usefully annotated" (ie,
string methods always result in SomeObject, that's probably why they're
frowned upon in the interpreter code)?

Cheers
Nik