[pypy-dev] dev meeting 2nd June 3pm (CEST)

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Thu Jun 2 14:57:07 CEST 2005

Hi,

On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 09:21:16PM +0200, holger krekel wrote:
> - giving the translation efforts a stable base:
>
>   One problem with ongoing development of PyPy is that
>   the translation process is still somewhat fragile with
>   respect to type inference (annotation) on our source tree.
>   Therefore, it would be good if translation could for some time
>   rely on a non-changing PyPy base.  One simple idea
>   is to fork off translation work in a branch, although
>   i'd like to avoid that if possible.  For starters,
>   documentation changes in the branch would not be
>   immediately seen on the website. Any other _simple_ ideas?

We implemented the following scheme, inspired by the 'testresult' svn
directory:  there is a distinct svn directory somewhere in 'pypy/branch'
that contains a copy of a known and stable revision of a selection of
directories, namely 'interpreter', 'module' and 'objspace' without
'flow'.  This is to be checked out *inside* pypy/translator/goal.  Then
translate_pypy does some minor hacking of 'pypy.__path__' to let the
directories from the branch override the directories from the complete
working copy.  Instructions on what to checkout exactly are given when
you try to run translate_pypy.py.

The scaled-down "branch" isn't meant for active development, and will
never be merged back into the trunk.  Occasionally, further fixes in the
trunk that are needed to make the annotator happy are merged into the
branch.

A bientot,