[pypy-dev] New genc implementation

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Thu Jun 9 16:31:27 CEST 2005

Hi Ben,

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 02:12:18PM +0100, Ben.Young at risk.sungard.com wrote:
> Thanks, that was what I was interested in. I was also interested in the
> new ScopedBlock that was going to be introduce to help with all the
> variable movement. Do you happen to know how that is progressing?

A few different ideas have been floating around -- nothing concrete so
far.  An idea that was not posted here (which I guess will triggers'
Christian attention) is to try, instead of rebuilding variable scopes,
to try to minimize the number of different variables.  It is actually
not difficult to compute a dictionary that maps some variables to some
other variables, as much as possible, while still avoiding conflicts.
This would definitely bring down the number of distinct variables and
explicit moves, and even quite a lot.  It might be sufficient to get the
same benefits as the ScopedBlock analysis.

> Keep up the good work! I noticed that targetrpython2.py is 20 time faster
> than python now. Only 100 times more to go!

Good :-)

A bientot,

Armin