[pypy-dev] sprint day 3

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Sun Jun 26 11:48:58 CEST 2005

Yesterday was another good day at the pre-EP sprint.

We mostly started by polishing stuff from the day before -- unicode
characters, pre-built caches.

Holger and Michael removed by writing boring code a use of
specialize:memo we weren't feeling intelligent enought to support in
the rtyper.

Armin and Anders made yet another pass through the list of partially
supported 'builtins'[1] and made some decisions about whether support
should be removed, finished or ignored for now.

The we had bit of a planning session and decided that (Christian and
Arre) and (Anders and Armin) would pair on supporting builtins and
Holger, Samuele and Michael would work on translator issues.

Holger and Michael implemented for the C translator the few remaining
unsupported float operations the rtyper could emit.

Arre and Christian implemented a few more operations on rdicts.

Armin and Anders worked on the list of builtins in the usual fashion:
sometimes removing code now deemed to be not rpython, sometimes by
removing special-casing code that was no longer necessary and
sometimes by adding code to the rtyper.

Holger, Michael and Samuele attempted to translate demo/bpnn.py and
fixed the problems they ran into; this included obscure behaviour when
the rtyper hit code calling a statically known bound method of a
Constant, the same when the Constant was of a class that was only seen
by the RTyper as a class of such a Constant and not elsewhere.

Holger and Armin refactored some of the rtyper code in the area of
equality.

Michael and Samuele fixed some broken code in the c translator in the
area of calling C functions not implemented by us.

Anders with help from Armin implemented is_true for PBC and fixed some
bugs.

Holger and Armin implemented yet another sort of dictionary:
'constant' dicts that are built at initialization time and only
queried thereafter.

Then we called it a day and went for dinner.

Today, we plan to carry on the above and do a little planning for the
post-EP sprint (which I won't be at, as I'll be involved in the
much-more-entertaining task of moving house) and maybe, maybe, writing
a talk for that conference we hear is happening quite soon.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  The Oxford Bottled Beer Database heartily disapproves of the
  excessive consumption of alcohol.  No, really.