[pypy-dev] Re: [pypy-svn] r9590 - in pypy/dist/pypy: annotation annotation/test translator/test

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Fri Mar 4 13:38:19 CET 2005

Hi Samuele,

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 02:54:49AM +0100, Samuele Pedroni wrote:
> yes, but this one change is not only obscure but is also not correct in
> general (I have an example).

I think that the whole "class revision number" hack is not needed any more.

At some point "factories" used to be some strange and complicated notion, but
this has been quite simplified.  Nowaways, for example, instance creation
points are just recorded somewhere associated with the class, and it's easy
enough to reflow from there whenever the classdef changes.

We should get rid of rev numbers; it would remove all the problems we keep
having with it.  Instead we can simply record all the 'getattr' operations,
i.e. record where each class attribute is read.  That's both easy to do now
and considerably more efficient (when a specific attribute is generalized it
would only reflow from the places that really use it).

Armin