[pypy-dev] Re: releasing PyPy ...

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Tue Mar 29 17:00:21 CEST 2005

Hi Wolfgang,

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 12:34 +0100, Wolfgang wrote:
> > Technically we should put the releases into their own branches and tags
> > so that we have the following layout in the repository:
> >
> >    svn/pypy/
> >
> >       dist/...      # ongoing development
>
> most other projects use 'trunk' for ongoing development.

Yes, and often trunk/dist for their distribution.  We try to keep
the URLs as short as possible.

> >       branch/
> >         pypy-X.Y/   # always a snapshot of the pypy/dist directory
>
> why not use X.Y, pypy-X.Y is redundant. (in CVS you need this)
> -> svn/pypy/branch/X.Y

It's true that it is slightly redundant but then it is also nice
to be able to say "svn co http:.../branch/pypy-0.7" and get a directory
pypy-0.7 without having to specify it. Also it is possible  that we
branch other subtrees than the actual source code (like the web-site).

cheers,

    holger