[pypy-dev] Parser

Adrien Di Mascio Adrien.DiMascio at logilab.fr
Thu Mar 31 11:24:34 CEST 2005

Hi There,

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 09:18:53AM +0100, Armin Rigo wrote:
> After a chat with Adrien, the situation seems to be as follows: the Logilab
> parser is roughly ready (needs polishing) and will be checked in somewhere
> soon.

Nothing to add here. It's *nearly* ready, needs a bit of
reorganization and tests. We'll try to checkin source as soon as possible.

> (Checking in regularly would be a good idea anyway, even for incomplete
> stuff...)

You're totally right, our fault here.

> It ressembles Jon's in that it parses Python's Grammar file and
> makes a parser from that, producing nested tuples in the format that the
> compiler package can turn into AST and then bytecode.

I still haven't looked at Jon's parser, I'll do that quickly.

>  We will have to compare
> the two parsers to know more precisely the current status.  I suspect that the
> Logilab parser is more appropriate to Logilab's and DFKI's own goals in the
> WP09/WP10, which involve playing around with the syntax, using a visitor
> pattern to generate its output; as far as I understand it,

We haven't fully thought about how things will be implemented in WP09
and WP10, but we might experiment a little bit around Python's syntax,
and we hope our parser will be flexible enough to build whatever we
need.
One of our goal when writing the parser was to be able to plug any
"builder" object to be able to easily switch (and experiment) between
some intermediate representation of the syntax.

> This is a bit unfortunate, as it means that some work has been done twice.

Agree.

> Not having a Logilab person at the PyCon sprint was certainly a problem, given
> that they should take the lead on the parsing and compiling stages (which, I
> admit freely, I'm not too interested in).

Oh ? Was this fact assumed by everybody ? If so, I think that we've
missed that, but we're OK with it as it's probably a good idea in view
of WP09 and WP10.

Cheers,
Adrien.

--