[pypy-dev] Re: Next step: gen???.py

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Mar 31 12:04:25 CEST 2005

Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org> writes:

> The question is which line of work to focus on right now.  All of
> these back-ends are interesting and worthwhile in the long run but
> we need to select a first one.  There are basically 4 reasonable
>
> * Enhance genc.py.

> * Enhance genc.py using the C++ facility of function overloading for
> simplicity

> * Go for genllvm.py.

> * genjava.py could be another option.

A question that springs to mind is: How much work do these various
options share?  (It seems like your typer.py is exactly this kind of
work).

Also, I think that the benefits of function overloading are pretty
minor for the cost of demanding a c++ compiler (although you could
probably use cfront and tcc for that :).

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Whaaat? That is the most retarded thing I have seen since, oh,
  yesterday                             -- Kaz Kylheku, comp.lang.lisp