[pypy-dev] Re: notes about EU background (was: Re: Parser)

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Thu Mar 31 14:16:04 CEST 2005

Hi Florian,

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 13:37 +0200, Florian Schulze wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:47:39 +0200, holger krekel <hpk at trillke.net> wrote:
>
> >If you have any questions or remarks especially about the
> >relationship between PyPy, the OpenSource project, and PyPy, the
> >EU project, please feel free to ask.   It will certainly help
> >us to understand it better as well :-)
>
> Are the core developers currently living from pypy development?

Yes.  However, especially Christian and me have a situation
where our companies only get 50% funded which has the unfortunate
consequence that we individually have to pay taxes for 100% of the
money which is 50% funded ... let me just conclude that i could
easily earn more money in other jobs :-)

> If that's the case, then it's really cool, because I know
> where my taxes go ;)

:-)  I would be more happy if the other parts of the EU
wouldn't try to push software patents like crazy.

> To be seriuos. AFAIU the EU pays money for sprint
> organization and such things. How are the companies
> involved? Financially or in another way like (man)
> ressources?

companies get 50% of their actual costs and have to pay the
other 50% themselves.  Universities and individuals get 100%
of their costs.  But individuals ("physical persons") are
excluded from getting work costs refunded.  This at least
means that you can join the EU/PyPy project as an individual
and get  all of your travel and accomodation costs refunded
(as well as conference fees and other non-work costs).

Note that we actually have the procedure now in place to let
individuals join the EU project in this manner.  Richard
Emslie and Alex Martelli have already joined the EU project as
indivduals.

If you are interested to join as an individual please contact
a member of the technical board (if in doubt, contact me)
personally.  The decision if an individual can access the EU
project will be taken by Armin Rigo, Christian Tismer, Samuele
Pedronis and me.  You must live in Europe to be able to
"accede" (maybe you even need to be a Citizen of the wider
European Union, not sure).

cheers,

    holger

P.S.:
    I have given a talk about EU/PyPy funding at the Chaos Communication
    conference in Berlin 2004, look it up here:
    http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/extradoc/talk/2004-21C3-pypy-EU-hpk.pdf
    and note that this was a hackers conference :-)