[pypy-dev] Re: notes about EU background (was: Re: Parser)

Jacob Hallen jacob at strakt.com
Thu Mar 31 14:23:52 CEST 2005

torsdag 31 mars 2005 13.37 skrev Florian Schulze:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:47:39 +0200, holger krekel <hpk at trillke.net> wrote:
> > If you have any questions or remarks especially about the
> > relationship between PyPy, the OpenSource project, and PyPy, the
> > EU project, please feel free to ask.   It will certainly help
> > us to understand it better as well :-)
>
> Are the core developers currently living from pypy development? If that's
> the case, then it's really cool, because I know where my taxes go ;)
> To be seriuos. AFAIU the EU pays money for sprint organization and such
> things. How are the companies involved? Financially or in another way like
> (man) ressources?

Yes, the Pypy EU project has a total financing of 1.3 million Euro for a
project period of 2 years, starting December 2004 and ending on the last of
November 2006. For most of the organisations participating, the EU pays half
of the actual costs, while the organisation provides the financing of the
other half.

The current project members are Strakt (Samule Pedroni, Anders Chrigström,
Jacob Hallen), Changemaker (Beatrice During), Merlinux (Holger Krekel),
Tismerysoft (Christian Tismer), Heinrich Heine Universität (Armin Rigo),
Logilab (Adrien Di Mascio and Ludovic Aubry), with DFKI as project
coordinator (Alastair Burt and Stephan Busemann).

More partners and people will join the project, as we had some dropouts and
some problems finding the right forms for some people to get financed.

Changemaker is doing project management and disemination, while Logilab and
DFKI have projects that focus on extending Python. All the other partners are
mainly working on reimplementing Python and making Pypy fast, flexible and
beautiful.

We do have some financing for subsidising travel to sprints for private
persons (residents of the EU and associated countries). If you are
interested, Holger is the contact person.

Jacob Hallén