[pypy-dev] do we still need to generate applevel _exceptions.py?

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Sun May 8 22:07:54 CEST 2005

Hi Christian,

On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 20:35 +0200, Christian Tismer wrote:
> holger krekel wrote:
> >We have pypy/lib/_exceptions.py which is a generated applevel
> >definition and gets translated to pypy/module/exceptionsinterp.py
> >by Christian fine geninterp mechanism.  Now to fix some remaining
> >compliancy bugs it seems easy to fix the applevel exceptions definition
> >unless there is a need to still be able to regenerate that as well.
> >I'd guess the latter is not neccessary anymore so is it fine
> >to just fix pypy/lib/_exceptions.py and regenerate?  And what
> >was the incantation again to regenerate the exceptionsinterp.py
> >again (did i miss some piece of documentation somewhere)?
>
> I think we can continue to generate the exceptions. For migration
> to future versions, it finds subtle argument additions quite nicely.

Right.   But after we move to 2.4 do you expect many changes to track?

> The only complicancy problems that I see are the __str__ methods.
> There are just a few to be implemented by hand.
> A mechanism to supply these methods is inside the generator.
> As an example there is already one such method implemented,
> see the end of pypy/tool/_enumerate_exceptions.py

thanks, i hope i used it correctly.

> About interpleveling the things, I agree with Armin that
> this should be cache-generated, soon. Will look into that.

yes, that would be great. In addition i wouldn't mind if
we allow to modify the __str__ methods directly in the applevel
file at least while staying with a minor python version,
it's also more straightforward to test via lib/test2 then.

thanks & cheers,

    holger