[pypy-dev] incomplete builtin modules policy

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Mon May 9 10:00:13 CEST 2005

Hi Samuele,

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 00:29 +0200, Samuele Pedroni wrote:
> Hi, we had failures re-appear for core tests because of some inprogress
> but still incomplete reimplementation of builtin modules got exposed.
> This is a problem because we can be changing things for example about
> the object model (objspace/std...) that are more related to the current
> core goal and we would like as few as possible unrelated failures to
> make it easy to spot failures produced by related changes and in general
> to track problems down.
>
> As things are now implemented if a module _codecs or binascii is in
> pypy/lib it will be used even if the corresponding module is listed as
> needing faking in sys2/state.py, that means pypy/lib takes precedence
> over faking listing.

What about adding a '--unstable' switch both to pypy and to
py.test which would cause pypy to load modules from pypy/lib/
no matter what and otherwise (by default) would load
stable/faked modules as specified in some list or
dictionary?  Prefixes like 'inprogress_' or 'unstable_' are not
that nice because that makes testing from lib/test2 slightly
inconvenient although that's not too big a deal, probably.

On a side note, it might make sense to generally advise
for our pypy/lib reimplementations to convert the according
CPython regression tests to the py.test model (with Laura's conversion
tool) because they would run fast and nice on CPython level.

    holger