[pypy-dev] Magic problems

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Tue May 10 04:32:19 CEST 2005

Hi,

during my wrestling with the ovfcheck "macro", I came along
a couple of problems, which are unrelated but nevertheless
noteworthy.

I discovered, that when testall.py ../*dunno*/test_geninterp.py
is run, the generated code does not expose any exception
branches!!!
This is probably due to the fact that some magic module
makes all exceptions into AssertionError subclasses.
But these are removed by simplify.py !
I was unable to follow the magic logic of this, but the pygame
view was at least able to show me that we really have a problem
here.

You can try this by writing a small function call, which usually
should expose at least one simple exception outlet.
It won't, but becomes a straight sequence of simple blocks.
Nice, anyway, but unfortunately Python world is not that nice :-)

This problem seems to be local to geninterp.py, which since a
while tries to completely believe into __builtin__ objects
as god given. Maybe I should modify this and look into
tjhe exceptions module more closely, or is this solvable
from the testing environment?

ciao - chris