[pypy-dev] Re: [pypy-svn] r12394 - pypy/dist/pypy/documentation

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Tue May 17 14:14:15 CEST 2005

In a message of Tue, 17 May 2005 00:34:26 +0200, hpk at codespeak.net writes:
>Author: hpk
>Date: Tue May 17 00:34:26 2005
>New Revision: 12394
>
>Modified:
>   pypy/dist/pypy/documentation/getting_started.txt
>Log:
>issue37 in-progress
>
>introduced the 0.6 release and according explanations into the getting
>started document. Basically i try to make downloading/unpacking the
>upcoming 0.6 release an alternative to using an 'svn co' line.
>Also i tried to avoid all the duplicate information we have everywhere.
>
>Somehow i don't like the very detailed subversion steps anymore. People
>who don't have subversion are likely to just use the tar/zip files and
>the others could be pointed to some official subversion documentation.
>So I think we should further refactor the getting started document
>accordingly and remove subversion details. This part of the documentation
>stems from a time where almost nobody had subversion installed except us
>:-)

Instead of just removing it, can you make it into its own page and
give a link to it.  The problem is that our documentation on how to
install subversion is _better_ than the one at the subversion site
(unless that has changed recently).  Every time I go someplace that
doesn't have subversion, I go to their site, try their instructions,
have it _fail_, remember, oh, yes, that's right and then go back to
your instructions on how to get subversion which works.  I can see
the point of simplifying, but if other people have as much trouble
as I do installing subversion from sourcen on a site that doesn't
have a package manager, they may need our instructions.

Laura