[pypy-dev] dependencies created by the geninterp change

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Thu May 26 03:10:26 CEST 2005

Hi Armin,

I just read your conversation about unicode

"""
[22:32] aleale: in geninterplevel.py line 419-429 is the template for
importing and only pypy/lib is added to the path
[22:33] arigo: aleale: yes, but this is only if the import statement is
at the global level in the app helper
[22:33] arigo: in this case, it is "hidden" inside the
unicode_encode__xxx function
"""

This is not true, I fear. The reason why the release crashed was
that instead of enabling immediate import, again, you let
it happen at global level. This is not completely equivalent,
because it creates a useless reference  to the module
in the globals!

So the same problem occours: the module must be accessible where
_formatting is, at geninterp's result's runtime, or we crash.

I can heal this probably by filtering all unused globals off.

ciao - chris