[pypy-dev] dev meeting 2nd June 3pm (CEST)

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Sun May 29 23:02:34 CEST 2005

Hi Bert!

On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 22:47 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Am 29.05.2005 um 21:21 schrieb holger krekel:
>
> >I suggest to meet
> >
> >    Thursday, 2nd June, 3pm (CEST == GMT+1)
> >
> >on #pypy at irc.freenode.net.
>
> You mean GMT+2, so that would be 13:00 GMT?

hum, let's say it's 3pm german time :-)  I always
get confused about daylight saving.  I think it
is actually GMT+2 at the moment.

> >- news/infos:
> >
> >  there are news regarding a guy who is likely to enter
> >  the EU/PyPy project and who comes from the Squeak (Smalltalk
> >  mostly implemented in Smalltalk) world. Just so you know.
>
> That would be me, thanks for the introduction :-)

I would have mentioned your name and more background but wasn't
sure if you'd like publicity :-)

> I'll try to be at
> the chat, and in Göteborg, too.

great!

> If someone wants to get an overview why Squeak might be interesting
> for PyPy, read this (old) paper:
>
>     http://users.ipa.net/~dwighth/squeak/oopsla_squeak.html

Interesting.  Maybe we can make a comparison table about the
difference in approaches.  For example, squeak translation is
source-to-source based while PyPy's approach reuses its own bytecode-interpreter
to produce a control flow graph on which it then performs type inference.
The main advantage is that the flow graph does not depend on particular
bytecodes or language constructs.  It merely records all operations
on application objects and re-constructs the program flow.  But you
probably know all this already :-)

cheers,

    holger