[pypy-dev] Re: [pypy-svn] r20364 - in pypy/branch/somepbc-refactoring/pypy/translator/c: . test

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Nov 29 10:36:31 CET 2005

Samuele Pedroni <pedronis at strakt.com> writes:

>>                  if isinstance(spec, tuple):
>>                      spec = spec[0] # use the first type only for the tests
>>                  argstypelist.append(spec)
>> -        a = t.annotate(argstypelist)
>> +        a = t.buildannotator()
>> +        a.build_types(func, argstypelist)
>>          a.simplify()
>> -        return skip_missing_compiler(t.ccompile)
>> +        from pypy.translator.c import genc
>> +        builder = genc.CExtModuleBuilder(t, func)
>> +        builder.generate_source()
>> +        skip_missing_compiler(builder.compile)
>> +        builder.import_module()
>> +        return builder.get_entry_point()
>>       def test_set_attr(self):
>>          set_attr = self.getcompiled(snippet.set_attr)
>>

> I missed this subtle point, indeed before going on writing more code
> like this, we need to think where and how much of
> translator.Translator to keep working and where instead to switch
> using TranslationContext

Definitely.  I wrote that stuff largely to see how hard it would be
and the answer is "not very, but it's a bit long winded".  It's
definitely too much to write in each test file.  OTOH, it's hard to
share this code between test files, because e.g. test_typed wants to
do almost exactly the same but do rtyping in the middle.  I'm a bit at
a loss as to a clean design

  callable = self.compile(f, "annotate")
  callable = self.compile(f, "annotate", "rtype")
  callable = self.compile(f, "annotate", "rtype", "backendopt")

?

Cheers,
mwh

--
  I wouldn't trust the Anglo-Saxons for much anything else.  Given
  they way English is spelled, who could trust them on _anything_ that