[pypy-dev] Trying pypy on Windows

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Mon Oct 3 13:48:52 CEST 2005

Hi Amaury,

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 05:49:11PM +0200, Amaury Forgeot D Arc wrote:
> (InteractiveConsole)
>

> ^Z
>   File "<console>", line 1
>
>     ^
> SyntaxError: Unknown character

One explanation might be that the input string seen is somehow different
to what we expect.  I can remember a situation (not related to PyPy)
where in some terminal using the Backspace key would apparently work,
but actually be introduced as characters in the result -- e.g. the
string would be '1-\x08+1' if you typed <1><-><backspace><+><1><enter>.
Or maybe the string ends in '\r\n' and the tokenizer doesn't recognize
the '\r'?

Try writing a small .py file and running it non-interactively, and see
if this works or if it also gives a SyntaxError.

If you don't get a SyntaxError, try a script that does a raw_input() and
prints the repr of the result.

A bientot,