[pypy-dev] (very offtopic) a faster Python not a primary goal of PyPy?

Stephan Diehl stephan.diehl at gmx.net
Tue Oct 4 12:34:27 CEST 2005

On Thursday 29 September 2005 12:13, David Fraser wrote:
> Alex Martelli wrote:
> >--- Armin Rigo <arigo at tunes.org> wrote:
> >
> >>If anyone shows up with a Javascript parser, I'm sure we could
> >>together
> >>hack (and translate (and later have a JIT from)) a basic Javascript
> >>interpreter within a few weeks :-)
> >
> >Actually, I think the currently useful thing might be a way to
> >compile (any decent language, Python for choice) INTO Javascript
> >(with reasonable efficiency), so one could write AJAX pages without
> >actually having to code in Javascript...;-)
> >
> >Alex
>
> I took a stab at this once based on somebody else's code...
>
> http://davidf.sjsoft.com/files/py2js

I've just used your py2js to start playing around with python javascript
integration on the web application server level.
For people who have too much time on their hand:
http://www.sdiehl.de/python
required to run: python2.4 and cherrypy2.1
If these are installed, the example should run out of the box.

To give some not so offtopic comment:
I had this idea as well that a (fast) pypy could be the ideal base for web
browser development. Since code written in python is so much easier to
understand than, say, c++, it would be so much easier to get css standard
conformance right, or Javascript implementation, or whatever.
This could lead to much faster development cycles.
But, of course, this would depend on pypy running not only as fast as CPython
but considerably faster.
---
Stephan