[pypy-dev] Re: [pypy-svn] r18743 - pypy/dist/pypy/module/stackless

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Mon Oct 24 13:18:16 CEST 2005

Armin Rigo wrote:

> Hi Christian,
>
> On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 12:47:36AM +0200, Christian Tismer wrote:
>
>>If my considerations are not wrong then this interface is sufficient
>>but not necessary. This does not mean we should not use it. I just
>>wanted to point out that switching threadlets can be made slightly
>>less restrictive, but I have no idea if that is useful at all.
>

> Yes, I proposed just a simple interface to start with.  Indeed, more
> advanced interfaces hit interesting problems, as you point out, e.g.
> with reference counting.  We should try to build something and see if
> the basic interface makes sense or if it would be useful to have more,
> or something else altogether.

In a sense, I tried to understand the "quantum mechanics" of frames,
calls and compatibility, since this part was so much easier with
CPython. It was interesting to realize again that we have almost full
freedom at what we are calling, but returns are a strong promise...

> I have finished to implement the basic interface by now; should I check
> it in?  I must admit I'm not entierely sure if it will be sufficient.
> But I guess that you're interested in trying it out -- unless you
> already see that it's missing something to build, say, tasklets?

Yes, please check it in. After all I think it is an advantage that
I didn't do this myself, but took a consultant role. This is a complete
start-over, and my insight might be blinded after too much of this.
Getting a step apart givesmea clearer picture.

Eric talked about doing this with a graph transformation might be
nicer. Do you think we should opt for that now, or later?
I have the feeling that this would be an abstraction that would have
stackless-ness as a special case. It would be about argument
passing, variable liveness, and a fromalism for the promises I guess.

all the best - chris   (with one less tooth since an hour :-X )