some next steps (was: Re: [pypy-dev] Release)

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Mon Sep 5 11:50:43 CEST 2005

On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 08:14:42AM +0200, holger krekel wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2005 at 10:49 +0900, Sanghyeon Seo wrote:
> > On 8/30/05, holger krekel <hpk at trillke.net> wrote:
> > > Personally, i hope i will find some time to seriously improve
> > > the testing framework on various levels.  With PyPy, we begin to
> > > have lots of options and variants in testing our own code
> > > base, the standard python library's tests as well as testing
> > > translation targets and variants.  I'd like to implement an
> > > approach that allows completely peer-driven testing and
> > > sending of reports to a central site where they can be queried
> > > according to os/processor/python.  I intend to implement this
> > > in a PyPy neutral manner so that the numerous other users of
> > > py.test can reuse our efforts for their projects.

> > > Additionally,
> > > i'd like to have tests become interactively distributable
> > > to multiple machines (listed via ssh-account login information)
> > > from a single (possibly modified) working copy.

Yay!  I've been hacking on something like this recently.

> > This reminds me of BuildBot: http://buildbot.sourceforge.net/ . Does it look
> > relevant?
>
> I know of buildbot but i think it has a different focus.
> It works with a central installation and it targets more general
> build processes whereas we would probably focus on detailed python
> testing and have it peer-driven so that everyone can contribute to
> gather information (which does obviously not exclude having servers
> which do it on a regular basis via cron or are triggered by
> svn-notification emails).

Buildbot is a nice tool if you want to run a test suite automatically
(perhaps on several machines with different hardware/software
configurations) after every svn checkin.  There's one master server that
collects and displays results, watches for checkins and tells slaves to
start the build when something changes.  Anyone can run a buildbot slave
on their own machine, if you give them a username and password for
connecting to the master.

Or do you want something that is more ad-hoc (e.g. a developer downloads
pypy, runs the test suite, and sends the test log by email)?

Marius Gedminas
--
I code in vi because I don't want to learn another OS. :)
		-- Robert Love