[pypy-dev] Current failures

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Fri Sep 9 10:14:47 CEST 2005

Hi Ben,

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 08:47 +0100, Ben.Young at risk.sungard.com wrote:
> P.S Do you have any plans to make annotation/translation more robust, as
> it seems it is very easy to introduce SomeObjectness without knowing, and
> even of annotation succeeds, successful translation is not guaranteed (or
> am I talking rubbish?)

We don't have an explicit strategy.  I guess, for one, it's a matter
of educating as many people as possible about things to avoid.
Second, it's a matter of having enough tests and example translation
targets where we notice failures as early as possibly.  Third, it's a
matter of refactoring and improving error reporting regarding
the annotation and specialiazing phases.

All three points are being tackled at the moment but there is
way to go, especially when it comes to recognize Windows problems
early on.  Maybe we could use a "test fixing" or "bug" day where
we specifically tackle random test and translation failures.

cheers,

    holger