[pypy-dev] a faster Python not a primary goal of PyPy?

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Thu Sep 15 14:57:11 CEST 2005

Jacob Hallén wrote:
> torsdagen den 15 september 2005 12.42 skrev Martijn Faassen:
>
>> holger krekel wrote: [snip]
>>
>>> PyPy is not primarily - at least not only - about making Python
>>> faster although many people like to view it this way :-)
>>
>> This correction is a bit confusing... It is not surprising that
>> people view "a faster Python" as a primary goal of your project, as
>> that's the message that's been spread repeatedly by you all over
>> the years:
>
> I think you misunderstand Holger.

I'm not sure how to understand Holger. He said PyPy is "not primarily -
at least not only" about making a faster Python, and was in the context
of correcting someone. I figured that perhaps the PyPy project is not
bringing the message out as well as possible, whatever this message is.

> Making Python faster is _a_ goal with Pypy, but it is not _the_ goal.
> The most important goals, as I see it are to produce something that
> is flexible and which has a clear implementation. However, this
> becomes an academic exercise if we produce something that is slower
> than competing implementations of Python. We want to build something
> that produces actual benefits in real world applications.

So, is making a faster Python a *primary* goal of PyPy or not? I
understand that the way to go about this is to produce a clear, flexible
implementation, and that this is also cool, and also a primary goal by
itself, but is making a faster Python *also* a primary goal or not? If
it's a primary goal, why the correction? If not, the message you all are
putting across might need some clarification, as you're certainly
implying to me in the texts I quoted that it is a primary goal.

Regards,

Martijn