[pypy-dev] about forking in taskengine

Eric van Riet Paap eric at vanrietpaap.nl
Fri Sep 30 10:30:18 CEST 2005

hello Samuele,

I have been reading your taskengine code with great interest.

I was wondering what your plans with regards to forking are.
Would it be possible to extend the option so we can specify after which task
to fork, instead of having some fixed points as we had before?

What would be of great help (to me at least) is if multiple goals could be
specified (lets say: generate pypy-c and pypy-llvm). The program could then
be smart enough to fork just before the tasklists differ. With the current
translate_pypy there is no way to do this.

An additional nicety would be if we could have an option where we specify how
many of these task to run in parallel (like 'make -j X') . I do realize some
things at the moment will not run nicely in parallel (compiling the same file
with different compiler options for instance), but that is another problem.

cheers
Eric