[pypy-dev] Re: inquiry: phd positions

Jakob Praher jp at hapra.at
Mon Apr 3 09:55:46 CEST 2006

hi Michael,

Michael Hudson schrieb:
> Jakob Praher <jp at hapra.at> writes:
>
>> hi all,
>>
>> my name is Jakob Praher. I am located in Linz, Austria. Currently I am
>> finishing my master thesis, which is about developing an aspect
>> oriented dynamic bytecode instrumentation framework for program
>> analysis on top of LLVM. I am very interested to work in that area as
>> a PHd student. From your website I know you are also working on an
>> LLVM backend.
>
> I'm not _entirely_ sure what you are saying here.  We have interests
> in AOP and interests in LLVM but they are not particularly related,
> whereas your interests seem to be intertwined.

I only wanted to give you some information, what I am doing right now. I
am also interested in dynamic runtime systems. I have some experience
with self and prototype based oo systems. I also had some experiences
with Jalpanero (now JikesRVM), which is also selfhosting like PyPy. What
I mean is that I am flexible. For me it is important to do open source
research and that I could gain some experience for implementing large
runtime systems.

> But it's late and I am suffering from a stressful trip, so maybe the
> confusion is just at my end :)
>
>> PyPy seems to be a European effort,
>
> Only by accident, mostly...
That is interesting :-)

>> so my naive question is, whether you have any PhD projects in this
>> area or could point me to some further information. I would be very
>> interested to hearing from you.
>
> Well, we certainly hope that there are interesting lines of
> investigation in PyPy.  To be more specific, we probably need you to
> be more specific about your interests too.

See above. My biggest concern is whether there could be some real
colaboration with a university. It is quite hard to do this kind of
research in Linz. Mostly because of a lack of support from the
university side.

> If you are asking "do we have pots of cash lying around to fund PhDs",
> then I'm pretty sure the answer is "no".  PyPy's funding from the EU
> was not structured in this sort of way (AIUI).

No I just wanted to say that it would be very interesting to work in an
area like dynamic object oriented runtimes. But there are many things
why I am asking this out loud:

* Is there any university involved in this project?
* What area of PyPy needs some research in the size of a PhD project?

Granted it is somewhat ignorant not to come up with an answer to the
second question before writing to this list. But actually I wanted to
hear some opinions from you. Anyways Linz is not the best place for hard
core open source research. Before working on anything myself again, you
have to understand that I have to do some questioning.

-- Jakob