[pypy-dev] Re: inquiry: phd positions

Jakob Praher jp at hapra.at
Mon Apr 3 10:20:35 CEST 2006

Carl Friedrich Bolz schrieb:
> Hi Jakob!
>
> Jakob Praher <jp at hapra.at> writes:
>> my name is Jakob Praher. I am located in Linz, Austria. Currently I am
>> finishing my master thesis, which is about developing an aspect
>> oriented dynamic bytecode instrumentation framework for program
>> analysis on top of LLVM. I am very interested to work in that area as
>> a PHd student. From your website I know you are also working on an
>> LLVM backend.
>
> Well, yes. But an LLVM backend in PyPy lingo is different from an LLVM
> backend in LLVM lingo :-). The latter would be a backend to LLVM that
> targets a certain CPU architecture. But it is really the other way
> round: we have a backend that produces _LLVM_ code out of our own IL.

Yes :-) I just wanted to point out that I have some knowledge of the
LLVM infrastructure and that I was using the JIT for my own project
quite substantially. While there are many areas where still need a lot
of work to understand, I am very interested in projects like yours and
so I just wanted to ask. LLVM lacks symbolic information (hence
lowlevel), which makes it impossible to be used as a first class IL for
a project like pypy. I will have a look at your IL.

> No clue about the Ph.D., sorry.
Never mind. Thanks for your reply.