[pypy-dev] how to get into the codebase? Open bugs?

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Wed Apr 5 14:41:36 CEST 2006

Hi Niko!

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 13:51 +0200, Niko Matsakis wrote:
> I am yet-another-compiler-PhD-student interested in exploring PyPy.
> I have been lurking on the list for some time, and a Python
> enthusiast for longer, but I have yet to really dig into PyPy to get
> a better understanding of how it works (beyond what is published on
> the web site).

he, welcome!

> In previous jobs and lives, I've always found that fixing a few
> simple bugs or implementing some low priority features can be a great
> way to delve into a code base.  As such, I am wondering if there is a
> list somewhere of such "open bugs" or pending tasks that I might try
> to tackle.

There is https://codespeak.net/issue/pypy-dev/ which i recently
updated and lists a number of problems.  We are not really
keeping very strictly to the classications of "easy,medium,hard"
for the issues but it should be helpful a bit, still.

> I understand that attending a Code Sprint would also be a great way
> to get into the code, but I'm not sure how/when I'll be able to fit
> that into my schedule.  Perhaps if there is one close to Switzerland,
> or somewhere my wife wouldn't going on vacation.  :)

many of us are at the moment in Leysin (Switzerland) ...

> Eventually, of course, I'd love to be conversant enough with the PyPy
> code base to try experimenting more boldly with it, but I guess one
> must take baby steps before one can run.

sounds like a good strategy.  feel free to ask questions if you
get stuck or wonder about things.

best,

    holger