[pypy-dev] A problem with unbound methods

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 21:31:04 CEST 2006

Hi Samuele,

Samuele Pedroni wrote:
> you should not trust or use graph names in the backend, apart
> for givin names to things. If a function is reused in more
> than one class the information would not be useful (this can
> happen in Python/RPython).
> The graph would get the name based on the first class
> under which it was found, this may be unrelated for example
> for the class for self to the method name under which the graph
> is attached.

nice to know this, I didn't know. I think I have to rethink to my
approach for code generation...

> Because there are too many variations about what is allowed in terms
> of supporting functions vs. just methods, calling superclass
> implementations of methods even when the method is overriden
> in a subclass etc in the targets, right now it is up to the backend
> to traverse and consider all classes and direct_calls and if the same
> graph appears both attached to a method (or methods) in a class (or
> classes) and in static method(s) in a direct call(s) decide what to do.
> This is also true in general for graphs that appear as more than on
> method in one place.

Ok, now it's clearer, thanks. So, to respond to my original question, I
should create a sort of "graph database" to lookup when I need to know
where have I put the code for that graph, right?

Well, let's begin refactoring! :-)

ciao Anto