[pypy-dev] Re: Mixed modules for both PyPy and CPython

Van Lindberg vlindberg at novell.com
Wed Apr 12 21:33:10 CEST 2006

Hello,

Carl Friedrich Bolz wrote:

>Careful. "Restricted Python" (or RPython) means something very
>specific in PyPy lingo. Restricted Python means that you stick to some
>restrictions in your coding style to make type inference possible. See
>
>http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/coding-guide.html#restricted-python

Sorry - I knew that.  I just didn't make the connection from one side of
my brain to another.  Maybe "secure python" (spy)?

What made me think this would work are a couple of comments made here
and on the py3k list.

First, Armin (about a year ago, I think)made some comments about the
objectspace abstraction allowing a "Remote Object Space" and allowing
different object spaces to participate in the evaluation of code.

Second, comments on py3k list indicated that secure python is difficult
because of a) introspection, b) type inference, and c) GIL acquisition.
However, a) a partitioned object space would allow introspection to be
limited - go too far and you run into an opaque objectspace wall; b)
Pypy already has functionality to do some type inference - probably as
much as necessary; and c) Pypy doesn't have a GIL.  The only relevant
GIL would be in the CPy host python, inaccessible to code in the Spy.

Of course, I also may be completely wrong :)

VanL