[pypy-dev] ext module testing modes

holger krekel hpk at trillke.net
Sat Apr 15 15:10:05 CEST 2006

Hi Armin,

On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 13:02 +0200, arigo at codespeak.net wrote:
> Author: arigo
> Date: Sat Apr 15 13:02:14 2006
> New Revision: 25852
>
> Added:
>    pypy/dist/pypy/rpython/rctypes/socketmodule/test_addr.py   (contents, props changed)
> Modified:
>    pypy/dist/pypy/rpython/rctypes/socketmodule/_socket.py
>    pypy/dist/pypy/rpython/rctypes/socketmodule/ctypes_socket.py
> Log:
> Very incomplete implementation of getaddrinfo(), with a test
> (only works on on-line machines so far).  The idea is that rctypes
> should now support all ctypes constructions that were necessary.
> I will start a regular mixed-module _socket based on this, but
> first we need to figure out how to best test mixed-modules based
> on ctypes -- ideally, they should be testable and compilable
> without the rest of the PyPy interpreter...

regarding py.test support: I think eventually we may have the
following testing distinctions regarding ext modules:

- test mixed module with std objspace (running on top of cpython)
  (current default)

- test mixed module with cpy-objspace connected to CPython
  runtime via rctypes

- test mixed module on top of pypy-c

I guess the second testing mode could be specified by "--objspace=cpy"
and for the third we may simply allow to specify "--appdirect"
which would trigger application level tests to run directly on the
executable instead through pypy interpreter indirection.  (with
"--exec=/path/to/executable" you can already point to pypy-c but
PyPy does not support enough for py.test to run this way).

makes sense?

    holger