[pypy-dev] From edu-sig, Guido on connecting squeak and python

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Fri Apr 21 13:38:19 CEST 2006

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:29:14 +0100
From: "Guido van Rossum" <guido at python.org>
To: "Paul D. Fernhout" <pdfernhout at kurtz-fernhout.com>

There's a lot to read in your post and the links you post -- more than
I have time ofr right now. Let me try to prune some of the ideas.

I'm not interested in switching to Jython for this purpose; nor am I
interested in directly linking to code that's part of Squeak --
unless, perhaps, there's some low-level code that is independent of
the rest of the Squeak environment while providing some functionality
we need. I'm also not interested in making Python an entirely
self-contained system such as Squeak is -- much of Python's strengths
come from its capabilities as a glue language, seamlessly integrating
with other software on many different platforms.

But, after encouragement from Alan Kay, I *am* interested in producing
a Squeak-like environment *on top* of Python. Alan suggested using a
slightly different starting point than Squeak; modern graphics cards
have a wealth of functionality that can be accessed directly. I'm no
graphics expert, but I believe OpenGL and perhaps SVG could be the
right basis to get started.

The approach that seems to make the most sense to me (but I'm open for
alternatives) is to start out by producing a solid low-level graphics
package like this that can work across platforms (Linux, Windows and
OSX preferably); once that is settled, we could build an application
resembling Squeak's UI.

There's probably more to it; but typing this email at a busy
conference my thoughts are a bit distracted.

- --Guido

- --
- --Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.python.org/~guido/)