[pypy-dev] Leysin sprint: 8-14th January 2007

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Tue Dec 5 18:10:05 CET 2006

         PyPy Leysin Winter Sports Sprint (8-14th January 2007)
..                             image:: http://www.ermina.ch/002.JPG

The next PyPy sprint will be in Leysin, Switzerland, for the fourth
time.  This sprint will be the final public sprint of our EU-funded
period, and a kick-off for the final work on the upcoming PyPy 1.0
release (scheduled for mid-February).

The sprint is the last chance for students looking for a "summer" job
with PyPy this winter! If you have a proposal and would like to
work with us in the mountains please send it in before 15th December
to "pypy-tb at codespeak.net" and cross-read this page:

   http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/summer-of-pypy.html

------------------------------
Goals and topics of the sprint
------------------------------

* Like previous winter, the main side goal is to have fun in winter
  sports :-) We can take a couple of days off for ski; at this time of
  year, ski days end before 4pm, which still leaves plenty of time
  to recover (er, I mean hack).

* Progress on the JIT compiler, which we are just starting to scale to
  the whole of PyPy. `[1]`_

* Polish the code and documentation of the py lib, and eventually
  release it.

* Work on prototypes that use the new features that PyPy enables:
  distribution `[2]`_ (based on transparent proxying `[3]`_),
  security `[4]`_, persistence `[5]`_, etc. `[6]`_.

.. _[1]: http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/jit.html
.. _[2]: http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/dist/pypy/lib/distributed/
.. _[3]: http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/proxy.html
.. _[4]: http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/project-ideas.html#security
.. _[5]: http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/project-ideas.html#persistence
.. _[6]: http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/project-ideas.html

-----------------------
Location & Accomodation
-----------------------

Leysin, Switzerland, "same place as before".  Let me refresh your
memory: both the sprint venue and the lodging will be in a very spacious
pair of chalets built specifically for bed & breakfast:
http://www.ermina.ch/.  The place has a baseline ADSL Internet connexion
(600Kb) with wireless installed.  You can of course arrange your own
lodging anywhere (so long as you are in Leysin, you cannot be more than a
15 minute walk away from the sprint venue), but I definitely recommend
lodging there too -- you won't find a better view anywhere else (though you
probably won't get much worse ones easily, either :-)

I made pre-reservations in the Chalet, so please *confirm* quickly that
you are coming so that we can adjust the reservations as appropriate.
The rate so far has been 60 CHF a night all included in 2-person rooms,
with breakfast.  There are larger rooms too (less expensive, possibly
more available too) and the possibility to get a single room if you
really want to.

Please register by svn:

  http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/extradoc/sprintinfo/leysin-winter-2007/people.txt

or on the pypy-sprint mailing list if you do not yet have check-in rights:

You need a Swiss-to-(insert country here) power adapter.  There will be
some Swiss-to-EU adapters around - bring a EU-format power strip if you
have one.

Exact times

Officially, 8th-14th January 2007.  Both dates are flexible, you can
arrive or leave earlier or later, though it is recommended to arrive on
the 7th (if many people arrive on the 6th we need to check for
accomodation availability first).  We will give introductions and
tutorials on the 8th, in the morning if everybody is there, or in the
afternoon otherwise.