[pypy-dev] The first JITing pypy-c!

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Thu Dec 14 04:22:05 CET 2006

Hi Richard,

On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 01:22:15AM +0000, Richard Emslie wrote:
> > Fixed now.  Jitting execution seems to work as well as the normal one.
> > We tried various things, including stuff not supported by Psyco
> > (generators, nested scopes...), with success.
>
> Very cool!  But do recursive intepreters work now? :-)

Yes, everything works :-)  Except the bytecode trace hook.  The machine
code is really terrible at all points of view, but you can JIT whatever
piece of Python code you like - generators, nested scopes, class:
statement bodies, all these cases where Psyco give up.  That's the point
of the approach, really :-)

We have a minor detail to solve before it can be tested on larger
examples, though - it exhausts the 32-bit address space far too early
(without actually consuming much of the reserved pages) and then we get
a MemoryError.  It's a back-end problem; Arre started working on that
today.

A bientot,

Armin.