[pypy-dev] The first JITing pypy-c!

Richard Emslie rxe at ukshells.co.uk
Thu Dec 14 19:02:34 CET 2006

Hi Armin!

Wow!  So at risk of coming across really stupid, I am going to hazard a
guess at what is going on.  :-)

As timeshifting is a translation time thing, we can handle mutiple or
recursive merge points as a one off atomic operation before we run.  So
now when we run we have two modes of execution - 'compile mode' and
'normal mode'.  (i hope at least this part is right!)

So now we are running our timeshifted translated code, where the original
rpython code defined a recursive interpreter, which in turn defined a
recursive function with a mergepoint.  When we hit a flexiswitch (the
merge point?), we go from normal mode to compile mode and may promote /
partially evaluate run time variables for each new instance of a run time
variable (the promotion hinted ones).  So what if a 'promotion' in compile
mode triggers another promotion down the line (ie during the timeshifted
residualizing code) and we go into a infinite loop of promoting?

Ok - so more questions than statements - and a high probabilty that
it made no sense to all - and maybe I should just wait for the docs! :-)

Cheers,
Richard