[pypy-dev] [stephan.diehl at gmx.net: Re: [pypy-svn] r35720 - pypy/dist/pypy/lib]

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Fri Dec 15 10:17:28 CET 2006

Hi all,

With his permission...  (Note that user/stephan/hacks/coroutines is by no
way stable, according to Stephan.)

Armin

----- Forwarded message from Stephan Diehl <stephan.diehl at gmx.net> -----

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:59:36 +0100
From: Stephan Diehl <stephan.diehl at gmx.net>
To: arigo at tunes.org
Subject: Re: [pypy-svn] r35720 - pypy/dist/pypy/lib

Hi Armin,

arigo at codespeak.net wrote:
>Author: arigo
>Date: Thu Dec 14 07:31:17 2006
>New Revision: 35720
>
>Added:
>   pypy/dist/pypy/lib/stackless.py
>      - copied unchanged from r35688, pypy/dist/pypy/lib/stackless.py
>   pypy/dist/pypy/lib/stackless_new.py
>      - copied unchanged from r35719, pypy/dist/pypy/lib/stackless.py
>Removed:
>   pypy/dist/pypy/lib/stackless_old.py
>Log:
>Temporarily keep the old stackless.py.  The new one seems to break all
>tests depending on it (at least its own test_stackless, and
>test_distributed).
>
>Stephan: I suspect that you only tested it on top of CPython with your
>greenlet-based wrapper (could you check it in somewhere too, btw?).  The
>behavior of this wrapper probably differs from the behavior of the
>module/_stackless coroutine in some way.

Arghhh. Actually, I ran ../../../test_all.py test_stackless.py from
within the pypy/module/_stackless/test directory and it passed
everything. Otherwise I wouldn't have replaced the stuff. Sigh.
Anyway. All the stuff can be found in
http://codespeak.net/svn/user/stephan/hacks/coroutine/
(the new stackless is called stackless2 :-)
The tests I have there (test_stackless2.py) are passing when running on
top of CPython, CStackless and pypy-c.
(The secret plan is of course, to have the stackless interface available
to CPython users --- minus the pickling, of course)

The coroutine module is just the (old) interp_coroutine minus the parts
that depend on pypy. I suspect that it could be made much, much thinner.

Whenever this (greenlet based) coroutine is ready, I'd like to place it
in py.magic.

I'm really sorry about the breakage. pypy is really a difficult beast :-)

Cheers

Stephan

P.S.: Unfortunatelly, I don't have any time left for this week, but I'll
continue next week, to hunt down the bugs and complete the interface
(and write much, much more tests as most features of stackless are not
really covert yet)