[pypy-dev] Confusion with meaning of "Stackless"

Lenard Lindstrom len-l at telus.net
Tue Dec 19 01:15:48 CET 2006

On 18 Dec 2006 at 21:15, Christian Tismer wrote:

> Lenard Lindstrom wrote:
> > On 14 Dec 2006 at 7:48, Armin Rigo wrote:

> > Thanks for the explanation. I find that "Stackless" is still
> > associated with Scheme like continuations and unlimited recursion
> > [1]. But yes, the PyPy documentation clearly states that  "Stackless"
> > means greenlets, coroutines and tasklets at the application level.
>
> Well, I should try to update that page.
> While it is still true, the basic machinery
> can support continuations, and infinite recursion
> was available in every Stackless. The "tamed" continuations
> which are greenlets, coroutines or tasklets seem to be
> what is much more acceptable for the users.

Taskets interest people. But so did infinite recursion. That it is
still a part of Stackless Python is worth mentioning. And if
Stackless PyPy supports it then infinite recursion should be
documented as a user level feature along with tasklets and such. It
does effect the choices a coder makes.

As for continuations, I have only seen them advertised as a  language
feature when the language provides a call/cc or something. Tasklets,
coroutines, generators and such are basically treated as independent
features.

Lenard Lindstrom
<len-l at telus.net>