[pypy-dev] PyCon 2006 sprint

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Fri Feb 10 15:09:33 CET 2006

Post-PyCon PyPy Sprint: February 27th - March 2nd 2006

The next PyPy sprint is scheduled to take place right after
PyCon 2006 in Dallas, Texas, USA.

We hope to see lots of newcomers at this sprint, so we'll give
friendly introductions.  Note that during the Pycon conference
we are giving PyPy talks which serve well as preparation.

Goals and topics of the sprint
------------------------------

While attendees of the sprint are of course welcome to work on what
they wish, we offer these ideas:

  - Work on an 'rctypes' module aiming at letting us use a ctypes
    implementation of an extension module from the compiled pypy-c.

  - Writing ctypes implementations of modules to be used by the above
    tool.

  - Experimenting with different garbage collection strategies.

  - Implementing Python 2.5 features in PyPy

  - Implementation of constraints solvers and integration of dataflow
    variables to PyPy.

  - Implement new features and improve the 'py' lib and py.test
    which are heavily used by PyPy (doctests/test selection/...).

  - Generally experiment with PyPy -- for example, play with
    transparent distribution of objects or coroutines and stackless
    features at application level.

  - Have fun!

Location
--------

The sprint will be held wherever the PyCon sprints end up being held,
which is to say somewhere within the Dallas/Addison Marriott Quorum
hotel.

For more information see the PyCon 06 sprint pages:

  - http://us.pycon.org/TX2006/Sprinting
  - http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyCon2006/Sprints

Exact times

The PyPy sprint will from from Monday February 27th until Thursday
March 2nd 2006. Hours will be from 10:00 until people have had enough.

Registration, etc.
introduce yourself and post a note that you want to come.  Feel free
to ask any questions or make suggestions there!

There is a separate `PyCon 06 people`_ page tracking who is already
planning to come.  If you have commit rights on codespeak then you can
modify yourself a checkout of

  http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/extradoc/sprintinfo/pycon06/people.txt