[pypy-dev] PyPy is faster than CPython (given an evil enough benchmark)

Stephen Thorne stephen at thorne.id.au
Wed Jul 12 06:56:35 CEST 2006

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:14:46 +0200, Martijn Faassen <faassen at infrae.com> wrote:
>Carl Friedrich Bolz wrote:
>[snip]
>> Of course the lesson of this is that benchmarks are worthless :-).
>
>Cool! I'll go tell everybody that PyPy is already faster than CPython
>now. :)
>
>The best benchmarks will be large real-world codebases running on PyPy.

This is precisely the reason I'm putting effort into getting the twisted unit tests to run on top of PyPy. Once we get the tests running on translated pypy, we can add a column to the http://twistedmatrix.com/buildbot/ builder, and get PyPy up as a platform we can run a harsh series of non-trivial unit tests on.

My work on this has stalled currently as there are a couple bugs in translation, but with the work Lawrence is doing on things like the posix module and fcntl, we're well on our way to being able to get this going.

FWIW, i've already managed to get twisted to run its own unit tests on its unit testing engine (trial) using py.py. Once we get fcntl translatable, I hope to report what happens when I run the lot (2764 tests) under pypy-c and 'see what happens'.

250 tests took approximately 11 hours to run.

Stephen.