[pypy-dev] Failing stackless tests

Aurélien Campéas aurelien.campeas at logilab.fr
Mon Jul 24 15:56:27 CEST 2006

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 03:33:59PM +0200, Armin Rigo wrote:
> Hi Aurelien,
>
> On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 12:21:52PM +0200, Aur?lien Camp?as wrote:
> > First, I did some (superficial, nothing related to the translation
> > aspect itself) changes that allowed me to build a (somewhat
> > non-crashing) translated pypy-logic using clonable coroutines.
>
> I did not look closely, so I cannot comment, but it seems to me that the
> tests and the demo we fixed during the post-EuroPython sprint all
> translated correctly, so I'm a bit surprized that you had to hack so
> much on the existing stackless code only for translatability
> reasons.

svn blame currently shows how incredibly little I had to play with the
code (to break it ... and have it fit my needs, and later make it
translatable again).

Apart from some temporary uncautious changes in interp_clonable from
which one can trace back the first breakage, and that were fixed
since, there is something else going on, that happened some time
after. The current breakage is, I think, unrelated to my
misdoings. This fact is just masked by the insufficient granularity of
http://snake.cs.uni-duesseldorf.de/pypytest/summary.html.

I am tracking every change concerning stackless, now.

Then, again, please consider that the current module/_stackless tests
fail at RUNTIME. They translate perfectly well.

> This said, there were not many tests so far.  That's also why I'm not
> happy to see half of them fail nowadays.  The "agreed" development
> procedure for PyPy is to write more tests when a bug is identified or
> existing code doesn't translate in some context, and then make the test
> pass without breaking the previous tests (which are all valid, so again
> I'm surprized that you can compile anything at all when half of the
> basic tests fail).

I am surprised, too. But I can exhibit the binary :)

Regards,
Aurélien.