[pypy-dev] A bug in cc? (was: "translation with --profopt fails")

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Mon Jul 24 22:56:10 CEST 2006

Hi Elmo,

On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 09:43:05PM +0300, Elmo M?ntynen wrote:
> Now I got an internal compiler error from cc:

Couldn't reproduce it...  I ran

  python translate.py --backend=c --profopt='-c "from richards import
  *;main(iterations=1)"' --text --batch targetpypystandalone.py

but everything went fine.  It's a gcc 3.4.5 (Gentoo 3.4.5-r1,
ssp-3.4.5-1.0, pie-8.7.9).  Either it's a bug in a specific gcc version,
or else maybe (just guessing) the floating-point exception is when gcc
computes something with the profile data, maybe timings, in which case
the bug could be hard to reproduce on a different machine.

In any case, if the bug is still there in the latest gcc, yes, I'd
consider reporting it.  PyPy is good to push many limits of its backends
-- e.g. it gave quite a few LLVM bug reports and I wouldn't be surpized
if mono was next :-)

A bientot,

Armin