[pypy-dev] pypy development tasks

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Jul 26 17:04:42 CEST 2006

Stephan Diehl <stephan.diehl at gmx.net> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> starting next week, I'll be able again to continue working on pypy.
> As a part-part-part time worker, I find it a bit difficult to stay on
> top on what's going on (and what needs to be done).
>
> These are the things, I would continue on, if nobody has a better idea:
>
> - write a python module that exposes Coroutine interface (using
>    greenlets, I suppose). This would be usefull for further development
>    of applevel stackless module. As a sideeffect, the stackless module
>    could then be used with CPython.

Erm, don't we have this part already?  Oh, you mean on top of
_CPython_, rather than on top of py.py on top of CPython.  I guess
this would help testing...

> - continue work on applevel stackless module and documentation.

This would be good.  Samuele pointed out some more stackless examples
at:

    http://members.verizon.net/olsongt/stackless/why_stackless.html

It would be nice to add these to the test suite (some of the examples
use pygame, so those need to be changed).

> Other than that, if I should rather do things like adding docstrings or
> do other usefull tasks, don't hesitate to tell me :-)

We've just had a quick IRC discussion, and we decided that it would be
really nice if you could work on the pre-emptive scheduling mentioned
in the description of WP07; this will require adding a hook to the
interpreter than is called every few hundred bytecodes, but other than
that should mostly be implementable at app level (and the design
stolen from stackless CPython, I guess).

Cheers,
mwh

--
  <glyph> I am *not* a PSU agent.