[pypy-dev] pypy-c vs cpython tests

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Jun 13 00:11:46 CEST 2006

I've spent an aggravating little while running CPython's regrtest with
a recent pypy-c (default options, so boehm and no fancy stuff).

After a bit of trial and error, this was the result:

69 tests failed:
GC Warning: Finalization cycle involving d66c120
GC Warning: Finalization cycle involving a8e06c0
GC Warning: Finalization cycle involving d286d08
GC Warning: Finalization cycle involving d180780
GC Warning: Finalization cycle involving d12a108
    test___all__ test_anydbm test_calendar test_cfgparser test_class
    test_codecencodings_cn test_codecencodings_hk
    test_codecencodings_jp test_codecencodings_kr
    test_codecencodings_tw test_coercion test_commands test_compare
    test_compiler test_cookielib test_cpickle test_decimal test_descr
    test_descrtut test_dis test_distutils test_doctest2 test_dumbdbm
    test_extcall test_file test_filecmp test_fileinput test_frozen
    test_gc test_getargs test_gettext test_glob test_inspect test_iter
    test_mailbox test_marshal test_mhlib test_mimetools test_minidom
    test_multibytecodec test_new test_os test_peepholer test_pep292
    test_pickle test_pickletools test_posixpath test_profile
    test_pyclbr test_random test_repr test_scope test_sort
    test_strftime test_stringprep test_strptime test_structseq
    test_tarfile test_tempfile test_time test_traceback
    test_transformer test_ucn test_unicodedata test_weakref
    test_whichdb test_xmlrpc test_xpickle test_zipfile
97 tests skipped:
    test__locale test_aepack test_al test_applesingle test_asynchat
    test_audioop test_bsddb test_bsddb185 test_bsddb3 test_bz2
    test_capi test_cd test_cgi test_cl test_codecmaps_cn
    test_codecmaps_hk test_codecmaps_jp test_codecmaps_kr
    test_codecmaps_tw test_crypt test_csv test_curses test_dbm test_dl
    test_doctest test_email test_email_codecs test_fcntl test_fork1
    test_gdbm test_getargs2 test_gl test_grp test_gzip test_hotshot
    test_httplib test_imageop test_imaplib test_imgfile test_imp
    test_ioctl test_largefile test_linuxaudiodev test_locale
    test_logging test_macfs test_macostools test_mimetypes test_mmap
    test_nis test_normalization test_openpty test_ossaudiodev
    test_pep277 test_plistlib test_poll test_popen test_popen2
    test_pty test_pwd test_pyexpat test_queue test_regex test_resource
    test_rgbimg test_robotparser test_sax test_scriptpackages
    test_select test_signal test_site test_socket test_socket_ssl
    test_socketserver test_strop test_subprocess test_sunaudiodev
    test_sundry test_symtable test_tcl test_thread
    test_threaded_import test_threadedtempfile test_threading
    test_threading_local test_threadsignals test_timeout test_timing
    test_unicode_file test_urllib test_urllib2 test_urllib2net
    test_urllibnet test_winreg test_winsound test_zipimport test_zlib
Segmentation fault

I had to run with '-x test_datetime test_format test_shutil
test_shelve test_str test_string test_unicode test_userstring' in the
end.  test_datetime, test_shutil and test_format kill the build.  the
string tests fail in ways that suggest that the boehm gc really didn't
expect the usage patterns they use.  I don't remember why I skipped
test_shelve now :)

I count around 250 test_* files in CPython's test suite, so we
actually pass around 40% of them, and a lot of the skips and plenty of
the fails are missing (parts of) extension modules, so we're not
really in *that* bad a shape.  But fixing the crashers would be nice.

We need to get some automated version of this set up.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  ARTHUR:  Why should he want to know where his towel is?
    FORD:  Everybody should know where his towel is.