[pypy-dev] Random updates

Elmo Mäntynen elmo13 at jippii.fi
Thu Jun 22 01:20:54 CEST 2006

Armin Rigo wrote:
> Hi Elmo,
>
> On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 01:36:54AM +0300, Elmo M?ntynen wrote:
>
>>> I also found out that the test summary page at
>>> http://snake.cs.uni-duesseldorf.de/pypytest/summary.html was doing a
>>> great job at hiding the fact that the tests no longer ran to the end,
>>> and that, for more than two weeks now.  Either test_ee in pyllvm was
>>> getting a SIGIOT signal (people who ever heard about this signal, raise
>>> your hand), or test_wrapping was segfaulting (unreproductably - fun).
>>> I still have no clue why test_wrapping occasionally segfaults.
>>>

>> I reported a segfault some time ago (python2.4 specific), of which you
>> can read in the archives, but no one seemed to be interested and I
>> didn't want to push it. My post was about
>>  compilemodule.py, but this might very well be related since they use
>> the same code quite the same way I think.
>>

> No, test_wrapping is about something different than what
> compilemodule.py uses.  The kind of wrapping tested here is only used by
> external tools developed by Christian Tismer, which he meanwhile checked
> in as pypy/translator/rool/raymond.py.  As I have no full clue about
> what test_wrapping does (and it uses names like "test_asd", which makes
> it crystal clear what the intent of the test is), I think I can live
> with this crash for now.
>
> Sorry for not having come back to you about the segfault you reported, I
> could never reproduce it myself...
>

>> The segfaulting itself seemed to me as a bug in python, but since it
>> didn't happen with 2.5 (some other error did though =), I didn't see it
>> as so important. Maybe I should've pushed it harder =).
>>

> So what is the current status: does compilemodule.py _demo work for you?
> On several Python versions?

2.3 seems to work nicely, 2.4 segfaults (?! I thought it worked again),
which I'll try to reproduce with different machine (I'll report soon):
[translation:info] with policy:
pypy.objspace.cpy.ann_policy.CPyAnnotatorPolicy
segfault
and latest 2.5 works.

This might just be something on my end, but any pointers on what might
be wrong would be useful.

A small complaint about py.test: a segfaulting test crashes py.test with
EOFError and with an older rev of 2.5
compilemodule.py _demo errored and I got a pdb prompt, but py.test
test_compilemodule.py reported a success nonetheless!?