[pypy-dev] Stackless and proper tail recursion

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Wed Mar 8 04:20:17 CET 2006

Lenard Lindstrom wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, has any consideration been given to include
> proper tail recursion in stackless PyPy. I know this would affect
> tracebacks, so would be a run time or build option. But given
> Python's functional features it is a shame to have to consider frame
> proliferation for even the simplest tail call.

Tail recursion is a fish, Stackless is a bicycle.
You might love them both, but they are doing perfectly
well, alone. :-)

There are considerations of all kinds of optimization.
It is even not clear for me if frames need to exist
at all, unless you are asking for a traceback.
No idea where the journey goes, but I'm quite certain
that the JIT compiler will try to remove much more
than just tail recursion.

cheers - chris